- King Middle
Here and Now- Parent Review Night Oct 13th
Dear 7th grade Parent or Guardian:
Assembly Bill No. 2246, which was approved by Governor Brown on September 26, 2016, requires each school and education agency serving grades 7-12 to adopt a policy on pupil suicide prevention..
To proactively address this issue, King Middle School, is partnering with North County Lifeline’s HERE Now program to provide a “Check Your Mood Week” filled with discussions about emotions and ways to help your friends.
The teen years are marked by a roller-coaster ride of emotions—difficult for teens, their parents, and educators. It is easy to misread depression as normal adolescent turmoil; however, depression (among the most common of mental illnesses) appears to be occurring at a much earlier age, and the past decade has seen teen suicide rates double.
Our goals in participating in this program are straightforward:
- To help our students understand that depression is a treatable illness, and help them assess whether or not they may have symptoms consistent with depression
- To explain that suicide is a preventable tragedy that often occurs as a result of untreated depression
- To provide students training in how to identify serious depression and potential suicidality in a friend
- To impress upon teens that they can help themselves or a friend by taking the simple step of talking to a responsible adult about their concerns
On October 13th from 5pm-6pm, North County Lifeline will facilitate an informative Parent Meeting, via Zoom, discussing the SOS Signs Suicide® Prevention Program as well as a discussion about bullying and bullying prevention. All parents are welcome to attend the Zoom presentation. The Zoom Link will be emailed prior to the event. Please mark your calendars if you would like to attend.
North County Lifeline will also present in the SOS Signs of Suicide® Prevention Program for one 50 minute period starting on October 26th, via 7th grade history classes. Following each presentation youth will be asked to complete a demographic survey and a card stating whether or not they have questions or concerns regarding the presentation for themselves or for a friend. Those students with questions or concerns will be able to speak with a North County Lifeline staff member and will be referred to their school for further resources along with North County Lifeline’s assessment. If you are concerned, we encourage you to speak with your son or daughter and follow up with a mental health professional for a complete evaluation.
There may be instances when a concern is brought up brought to HERE Now staff up by a peer or trusted adult regarding a student that has indicated they ‘do not need to talk.’ HERE Now staff in this circumstance may check in with that student.
- CONSENT to PARTICIPATE in CHECK YOUR MOOD: No reply is necessary if you consent to your child participating.
- If you do NOT give consent for your child to participate in “Check Your Mood Week”, please click on the link to fill out the form to opt your child out of the Oct 26th, Check Your Mood presentation.
- Opt Out of Check Your Mood Presentation
Wednesday 10/13 from 5-6 pm is the Here and Now parent preview night. This will be a virtual zoom meeting where they will review the program with you and answer questions you may have.
Here is the zoom link:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 983 8309 4556
I have also included the Opt out letter and form below
King Counseling Team