What is AVID?
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a college readiness system that is designed to increase school-wide learning and performance. The AVID methodologies (WICOR) accelerate student learning, through effective instruction, and acts as a catalyst for systemic reform and change.
What Will Students Do In AVID?
- Get Organized: Students are taught a system for organizing their notes, papers and class work; and time management strategies (weekly planners) to increase effective work habits.
- Write Papers: Students are taught how to write various kinds of papers successfully.
- STUDY, STUDY, STUDY: Students are involved in study groups, tutorial groups and self-directed seminars.
- Prepare for a Professional Career: Students will develop strategies to prepare for a successful professional career.
WICOR GUIDES STUDENT LEARNING
Rachel Andersen - AVID & 7th Language Arts
AVID Mission Statement
AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
- Teaches skills and behaviors for academic success
- Provides intensive support with tutorials and strong student/teacher relationships
- Creates a positive peer group for students
- Develops a sense of hope for personal achievement gained through hard work and determination
AVID transforms the leadership, systems, instruction, and culture of a school, ensuring college readiness ofr all students. AVID impacts students throughout the school when trained teachers use AVID strategies (WICOR) to influence the academic and behavioral skills of their students.