Skip To Main Content

Private School Referrals


Children with suspected disabilities may be referred for Special Education assessment even if they are not currently enrolled in a public school.  If you are concerned that your child may have a disability that could negatively impact your child's educational progress, you are encouraged to contact the appropriate school as listed below.

In order to start the assessment process you, please be prepared to be asked for basic demographic information that is typical for enrolling in any school program.  Although, you may not be intending to enroll your child within the OUSD, this information is necessary to assist us with ensuring we have the necessary information to get the assessment process started.

  • If you live in Oceanside Unified School District (OUSD) attendance boundaries, and the private school your child attends is within the OUSDs boundaries, please contact your school of residence.  If you are unsure of the Elementary School, Middle School, or High School that serves your neighborhood, use the School Look-Up found on Oceanside Unified School District's public web site.  
  • If your child attends a private school within OUSD's boundaries and you live outside of OUSDs boundaries, you should contact the OUSD school that serves the area where the private school is located.  Typing the private school's address into the School Look-Up  will assist you with locating the correct school site to contact. 
  • If you live in the OUSDs attendance boundaries, and the private school where your child attends is outside of OUSDs boundaries you would contact the District where the private school is located. 

Should you have any questions, please contact our Special Education Department office at (760) 966-7878.