California Healthy Youth Act
Enacted January 1, 2016, this law integrates the instruction of comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education. The bill renamed the California Comprehensive Sexual Health and HIV/AIDS Prevention Education Act to the California Healthy Youth Act. The bill requires school districts to ensure that all pupils in grades seven and up receive comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education. Education Code Sections 51930‐51939 (AB 329).
The California Healthy Youth Act has five primary purposes:
- To provide pupils with the knowledge and skills necessary to protect their sexual and reproductive health from HIV and other sexually transmitted infections and from unintended pregnancy;
- To provide pupils with the knowledge and skills they need to develop healthy attitudes concerning adolescent growth and development, body image, gender, sexual orientation, relationships, marriage, and family;
- To promote understanding of sexuality as a normal part of human development;
- To ensure pupils receive integrated, comprehensive, accurate, and unbiased sexual health and HIV prevention instruction and provide educators with clear tools and guidance to accomplish that end;
- To provide pupils with the knowledge and skills necessary to have healthy, positive, and safe relationships and behaviors
For information on the California Healthy Youth Act, California Education Code (EC) sections 51930–51939, please visit the California Legislative Information Web Page.
Assembly Bill 1227, (Bonta) Human Trafficking Prevention Education and Training Act.
Preview HHD Lessons & Materials Online (English & Spanish versions)
*NOTE: All lessons have been modified from their original form to meet student needs within Oceanside Unified School District while still adhering to the requirements of the California Healthy Youth Act. This modification process was done in collaboration between OUSD, the Health & Human Development Committee & Community Health Program Specialist, Tara Beeston. To learn more about the California Healthy Youth Act, please see the California Department of Education’s website.
**Links to translated lesson plans and materials are posted below for Spanish-speaking Parents and Guardians. All instruction occurs in English.
Parents and Guardians are welcome to attend any school site PREVIEW as listed below if you are interested or have any questions.
The materials are also linked here for your reference.
Taylor Galvan, M.Ed.
Teacher on Special Assignment: Science & Mathematics
Opting Out of HHD Lessons
Parents or guardians may excuse their students from sexual health instruction for this school year by completing an opt-out form and returning the form to their student's school. A hardcopy of the form will be available at each school by request or print a copy according to the linked forms on this website, sign and return to your designated school.
The opt-out form includes the following information:
Comprehensive sexual health and HIV prevention instruction is provided by trained classroom teachers or community-based health educators.
All content complies with California Healthy Youth Act and CA Education Code requirements.
When the instruction will be implemented at their student's school.